Monday, July 5, 2010

Windows


Our homes are approaching and in many cases, passing 20 years of age. With age, my home is starting to need more attention. One of the items needing attention are windows.
When it gets real cold outside, I get moisture and if cold enough, ice forming on the inside of my windows. I found that my windows weren't argon-filled but rather vacuum between the double panes of glass and the vacuum was actually causing the two panes to touch, negating the vacuum's energy efficiency benefits.
Provided your wood frames are in decent shape, you may not have to replace the entire window. You may be able to simply replace the glass inserts as I did.
Replacing the glass inserts can be as simple as calling the manufacturer and ordering new inserts or you can remove the glass slider or crank-out portion and bring them to a window company (i.e., Scherer Brothers) or to a glass insert manufacturer.
We have a glass insert manufacturer right here in Minneapolis. (this contact is from a real estate investor I know) The glass manufacturer is Brin Northwestern Glass, (612) 529-9671 or www.BrinGlass.com and the cost when I called about some windows was around $100 per pane - much cheaper and easier than custom-ordering and paying to install windows in your existing openings.
Drop me a line with other questions or ideas of how to maintain our homes on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment